PitchBook has released an early look at 2Q 2013 and first half venture capital investment statistics. Some highlights include:
- Capital Invested in U.S. Companies — $8.1 billion invested during 2Q 2013 through 767 venture rounds.
- Deal Types — One of every two venture rounds during the second quarter were early stage rounds (primarily Series A & Series B).
- Exits — Venture investors realized 104 exits during the second quarter, totaling $5.27 billion (compared to 103 exits totaling $3 billion in the first quarter).
- Standout Industry Sectors — The consumer non-durables sector saw more deals in 2Q 2013 (23) than any other quarter in the last decade.
- Funds — VC firms closed 29 U.S.-based venture funds in 2Q 2013, raising a total of $3.5 billion.
For a more thorough breakdown of venture capital activity from the second quarter and first half, download PitchBook’s VC Snapshot here or see: